Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Due to lack of interest ... my birthday has been cancelled :)

So, my birthday is coming up in a couple of days. I figured, to celebrate, I would post some of my favorite music quotes of all times ... since music makes me the happiest girl in town. Now to clarify, these are quotes about music, not quotes from songs or anything ... but beautiful just the same. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence. ~ Leopold Stokowski
Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown
If I were to begin life again, I would devote it to music. It is the only cheap and unpunished rapture upon earth. ~ Sydney Smith
If this word "music" is sacred and reserved for eighteenth and nineteenth century instruments, we can substitute a more meaningful term: organization of sound. ~ John Cage
The pause is as important as the note. ~ Truman Fisher
Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without. ~ Confucius
The discovery of song and the creation of musical instruments both owed their origin to a human impulse which lies much deeper than conscious intention: the need for rhythm in life… the need is a deep one, transcending thought, and disregarded at our peril. ~ Richard Baker
An artist, in giving a concert, should not demand an entrance fee but should ask the public to pay, just before leaving as much as they like. From the sum he would be able to judge what the world thinks of him - and we would have fewer mediocre concerts. ~ Kit Coleman
Music is moonlight in the gloomy night of life. ~ Jean Paul Richter
Music is a friend of labor for it lightens the task by refreshing the nerves and spirit of the worker. ~ William Green
I worry that the person who thought up Muzak may be thinking up something else. ~ Lily Tomlin
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music. ~ Angela Monet
Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music. ~ Sergei Rachmaninov
To stop the flow of music would be like the stopping of time itself, incredible and inconceivable. ~ Aaron Copland
Words make you think a thought. Music makes you feel a feeling. A song makes you feel a thought. ~ E. Y. Harburg
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. ~ Henry David Thoreau
I have my own particular sorrows, loves, delights; and you have yours. But sorrow, gladness, yearning, hope, love, belong to all of us, in all times and in all places. Music is the only means whereby we feel these emotions in their universality. ~ H.A. Overstreet

Alrighty, that's the end! Thank you Kelly, Megs, Missa and Cory for being my friend and following me on my journey, as I follow you on yours. You guys are so talented and so full of spirit ... where would I be without you? Still here, I guess, but feeling a little more lonely :)

Smiles,
Angie

2 comments:

  1. These are some great quotes, I love them all... especially "music is what feelings sound like." Here's the first one that comes to my mind when I think about quotes about music:

    "If music be the food of love, play on." William Shakespeare (from the play Twelfth Night).

    Happy early birthday, Angie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Missa ... and that's a great quote as well! :) I hope you're having a wonderful day!

    Smiles,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete