Tuesday, March 17, 2009

One Hard Look

Upon reading all of the wonderful limmericks at http://southerngothicproductions.blogspot.com/, I remembered a poem that I read a really long time ago ... and it stuck with me for some reason. I think it's because it's quirky and rythmic and I think I could dance to it ... I give it a "10"!

"Small gnats that fly
In hot July
And lodge in sleeping ears
Can rouse therein
A trumpet’s din
With Day of Judgement fears.


Small mice at night
Can wake more fright
Than lions at midday;
A straw will crack
The camel’s back,
There is no easier way.


One smile relieves
A heart that grieves
Though deadly sad it be,
And one hard look
Can close the book
That lovers love to see."


~ Robert Graves

(There is a different version of this poem, but this one is my favorite.)

Smiles,

Angie



No comments:

Post a Comment