Friday, February 20, 2009

Remember

Remember the day I borrowed your brand new car and dented it?
I thought you'd kill me, but you didn't.
And remember the time I dragged you to the beach and you said it would rain and it did?
I thought you'd say "I told you so.", but you didn't.
Do you remember the time I flirted with all those guys just to make you jealous and you were?
I thought you'd leave me, but you didn't.
Do you remember the time I spilled strawberry pie all over your car rug?
I thought you'd hit me, but you didn't.
And remember the time I forgot to tell you the dance was formal and you showed up in jeans?
I thought you'd drop me, but you didn't.
Yes, there were lots of things you didn't do - but you put up with me and you loved me and you protected me.
There were lots of things I wanted to make up to you when you returned home from Iraq,
But you didn't.


My friend shared this poem with me several years ago and I think about it from time to time. It's one of those pieces of art that touched me in a part of my heart that doesn't get touched very often, but when it does ... oh my goodness ... it's either laughter or tears or both ... in this case, tears. Like the song Hey There Delilah ... it was the song that I was listening to when I found out one of my best friends died in a motorcycle accident ... I cry every time.

Sorry that I'm being a downer right now ... I've been having an "off" day all day long. Just one of those days I guess. I promise that I'll be a lot happier in my next post. In fact, I'll end with a joke (because laughter and music are soul-menders):


Spent Paycheck
Wife: Okay, today's Friday. Where's your pay envelope?
Man: I already spent all my pay. I bought something for the house.
Wife: What? What could you buy for the house that cost $480?
Man: Eight rounds of drinks.

Ok, not that funny ...

Smiles,
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment